Uma, one of our well-loved patients, presented because she had gone off her food and was far from her usual bouncy self. After some investigation by our Blue Cross Veterinary team, a suspicious, painful lump was felt within her abdomen. X-rays confirmed this to be a life threatening blockage within her intestines and she was taken immediately to surgery. During surgery, Uma's veterinarian, Sarah, removed two foreign objects from within her intestine. These were later identified as sea tulips, a type of sea sponge that commonly wash up on Oamaru beaches. Sea tulips seem to be particularly attractive snacks to dogs but do not digest within the stomach and therefore pose the risk of causing blockages. Uma's case highlights the dangers of these tulips to smaller dogs so please take care when you see these on the beach.