Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

Going sugar-free seems like a good idea for you and your dog.  Unfortunately, a sugar free additive known as Xylitol is very toxic to dogs.  Xylitol is a sugar free sweetener that is used as a sugar substitute in human food and can be found in many products around the home including gum, lollies, toothpaste, and baked goods to name a few!  The increased use of Xylitol has led to an increase in cases of toxicity in dogs.

While Xylitol is safe for people, it is very toxic in dogs even in very small doses.  When ingested by dogs it causes a large insulin release causing low blood sugar and potentially liver failure.  Signs of Xylitol toxicity include lethargy, diarrhoea, vomiting, sudden collapse, trembling, loss of coordination and potentially death.

If your furry friend gets into some human food remember to check the ingredients list for xylitol (other artificial sweeteners e.g. sorbitol and mannitol are not toxic to dogs) and if concerned bring them into the vets, so they can get treatment as soon as possible.

SA case study.jpg