Cat and Dog Poisons

We all know our furry friends often like to get their noses stuck into a variety of things - but there is a list of common household substances that can be very dangerous to dogs and cats and should be avoided!

  • Chocolate: the darker the chocolate the more harmful substances it contains. Coffee and caffeine contain similar harmful chemicals.
  • Grapes and raisins: can cause kidney failure
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Avocado
  • Xylitol: is an artificial sweetener found in many products, including sugar- free chewing gum
  • Plants: tulips, daffodils, azaleas just to name a few
  • Anti-freeze: animals love the sweet taste of anti-freeze
  • Rodenticides: either direct ingestion or through eating a poisoned rodent
  • Paracetamol: there is alternative veterinary pain relief available
  • Onions (and garlic): can cause a life threatening anaemia 
  • Alcohol

Common signs you may see in your dogs and cats following ingestion of these poisons are vomiting, diarrhoea, collapsing and seizures. Typically the more they eat the more severe the signs are. if you have seen your pets tuck into any of these toxins then contact us immediately. The sooner we can help your animal the better the result will be.